When I get my hands on Murphy....

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Bittersweet Pumpkins


Perhaps I should explain. . . .

Today we carried out a tradition that has been going on for over 1o years. My parents started the tradition of taking all the grandchildren to the pumpkin patch before my boys were born. It has been an event that has been looked forward to with great anticipation every year by the children. Even the adults have fun.

Two years ago when Dad passed away, the last family get-together we had was the visit to the pumpkin patch, just 3 days before he died.

So, last year was a bit of a struggle, but we went. His absence was painfully noted by all. So, this year, we thought maybe we'd try a different pumpkin patch, to try to switch things up a bit. The kids all had a great time, but, once again, we found ourselves feeling that huge void. And, as if that weren't bad enough, we spent a good part of the day trying to coordinate the details of how to attend my aunt's funeral this Tuesday in Port Townsend, Washington. Like I said, bittersweet.

This week has been a hard week. Tuesday I found out that one of my uncles has just been diagnosed with cancer. Wednesday I found out that a very close uncle has cancer that has returned. Thursday was the 2 yr. anniversary of Dad's passing. Friday morning, my aunt passed away. Today, the pumpkin patch.

I think tomorrow I am going to burrow deep under my blankets and stay there!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home